Stadiums

When I first saw Wolfgang Zeller´s stadium deluxe I realised at once what I´d been missing for the game. Though your team does not improve because of the surrounding you have at least much more fun even when you're loosing, not to mention when you are winning. People like my girlfriend who don't manage to roll the dice within the limits of the board do not spend so much time anymore during the game looking for the dice under the table. Last but not least the stadium covers less space than the cardboard since the scoretables, dugouts and templates are integrated. Unlike Wolfgang´s stadium deluxe my stadiums are not meant to be transportable, so they consist of one piece only. So it is possible to put the complete game aside if you happen to run out of time and want to continue later.

To get a solid frame I glued 20x40 mm squared pine wood with PVA-glue on a 100x60 cm MDF-board and fixed it with adjustable clamps until the Glue had dried.

For the scoretables I glued sheet metal on a 9x20 cm MPX-board. The original scoreboards were scanned, adjusted to the measure of the board, printed and laminated, then finally fixed to the board with double sided tape. The down side of the board was filed to an angle of about 45 ° to which a 18 mm aluminium U-profile was screwed. Then the squared pine wood frame was planed to make the U-profile fit on any place around the stadium. The scoremarkers are made of 20mm bases with small magnets glued beneath.

Click to enlargeClick to enlargeFor my first stadium I chose to have stonewalls around the dugouts. To build these walls I cut slices from a block of Polystyrol. The structure of the stones were pressed in with a knitting needle, what turned out to be a real test of patience but the effect was finally worth it. After the modelling work the painting followed as usual, then all the walls were glued in place. The environment of my second stadium was supposed to be Lustrialike matching my girlfriend´s Click to enlargeamazon team; all the boulder around the sidelines and the dugouts are also made of foamed material.

I glued scatter templates into each corner of the stadium's bottom and the referee template in the centre next to the sideline.

Next part was the grass. First I painted the remains of the stadium floor with green colour. I spread PVA-glue (thinned with 20 % water) on the floor of the stadiums and put scatter material above it. Don't use sand to model the ground, it would damage your painted minis!

Click to enlargeClick to enlargeAfter the glue had dried the rest of the scatter material could simply be blown and shacked off. The template for the playing field marks was made by Wolfgang and his cutting plotter. The template was fixed on the fresh grass, all the sidewalls, dugout etc. got protected by some film and the spraying of the marks began. I wanted the marks to be white what meant I had to spray at least twice up to three times to get visible marks on the grass. So my template got soaked and started to loosen from the ground, what made the lines turn out a little blurred. But it's a rough game after all so who cares about slightly blurred marks. Per stadium I used up about 1 1/2 cans of white GW-spray which turned out to be the best product for the purpose because it dries rather quick and does not blur as much as other sprays I tried (this is my experience indeed, no statement due to bribery). Just in case you´d like black marks you´d just need to spray once and the marks turn out sharper.

The decorations and finetuning are the usual modeling work, left to anybodys own fantasy what and how to be done.